Tuesday 10 March 2009

Good Evening Blogespere!

As a child of the late 20th century, the digital revolution, girl power and the Spice Girls and the Millennium, I have, at the tender age of 19 lived through monumental times in the modern history of the world. Let's see: the first decade of the 21st century is nearly over and what a decade it has been. I remember celebrating the millennium, I remember shaking my shimmy to the Spice Girls 'Wannabe' and I remember seeing the Twin Towers collapse on the news on September 11th 2001.

A broad range of memories, you may agree.

Amongst many more social, economical and political moments of significance, the most recent developments include; Barack Obama becoming the first black president of the USA, the looming of the worst recession since the fall of the Weimar Republic and the Wall Street Crash of 1929, continuing conflicts in Gaza and the Middle East and the threats of global warming forever gracing the news.

The digital revolution has brought us the Internet, which has changed the way the world communicates forever. Letters and telegrams are a thing of the past as email, texting and social networking sites take over.
My early teens were a thing for MSN Messenger and MySpace, having never entered into the Bebo network, I transitioned onto Facebook, which is still at the peak of the social network popularity. The new craze of the moment is Twitter, but I have never created my own account simply because I don't wish to be "followed" and I quite frankly waste enough time endlessly searching Facebook for God-know's-what and I don't need another Internet portal to keep on top of.

The next step for me is to start blogging. As a trainee Journalist at University, I thought it would be a good idea to practise my writing skills as well as have a place to vent about current affairs and areas of interest.

So as I enter into the next step of my own digital revolution, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment